Back to the Future - Part I
I don't know how to begin. So I'll just plunge in without giving a damn about the intro. At CA(Computer Architecture) class today, the topic under scrutiny was 'History of Computers'. Now, u're probably thinking that I would launch into a long rant about how boring these topics are. To the contrary, I found myself immersed in deep thought (Ignoring the snide sniggers from Magix and A regarding my neck bandage :D). Looking at the development of computers in the last 4 decades led me to the inevitable question: Where is this all going to end? It took a few million years for the evolution of human species. A few centuries for the discovery of electricity. A few decades for the invention of the radio consequently followed by the television and finally the computer!!
The Prophecy!!
Look at the development of computers in the last 7 years... it's explosive!! Considering that we were satisfied with 8mb of RAM then, it's incredible that now, 512 mb of RAM is inadequate. Not only that; clunky devices made only for geeks (who probably practised their patience thru dhyana) are now sleek, portable, gorgeous gadgets made for the supremely impatient. "Make it smaller" is today's motto. And in In the process of minimizing size, we maximize complexities. (These humans are crazy!! tap tap tap tap!).
3 years back, 20 gb was the de facto standard. Now it's 250 gb and rising on a nice uppish curve. If I'm not mistaken, the world's smallest Hard-disk has a platter(thingys on which data is stored) diameter of 0.7 inches with capacities upto 40 gb!!! Will it actually reach terrabytes and exabytes before the decade? Here's the opinion of a future computer engineer - I don't think so. Coz by that time Internet access speeds would probably be in Gbps and yes, definitely wireless. Online storage and online OSes will be the trend. I mean, we can't keep upgrading systems every now n then. Where wud all the old machines go? (Probably add it to the space junk list)
We're looking at convergence now. A smart device that not only performs number-crunching but also reminds u of dates, gets ur shopping done, acts as ur guide in a foriegn-land and probably teaches u a few swear phrases native to that place. AND probably talk with u.
All the sci-fi flicks r gradually turning into reality.Integrating chips into the human body is not far away. Boy! Virus attacks in the future are going to be reeeal sinister. Wars among machines isn't far away either. Less bloodshed and more chip-shed. Cyborgs will walk soon. (One sincere prayer - I hope 'Judge Dredd' doesn't come true. In the movie there r vending machines which sell recycled food!!!)
Would we probably do a Pygmalion and fall in love with machines? A few years ago, my pal Einstein was searching for an equation that would explain "everything". The past, future, human emotions, why we blink, thought processes, chicken soup, space, everything. If only the stupid egoistic snob had asked me.
(I wudda helped him, but I didn't like his tangled hair, the chump!!) I knew the answer all along....






<< Home