Thursday, December 16, 2004

Ah! Go and boil your head

Warning: Huge post ahead. Take diversion if necessary! (But I suggest that you read thru it)

Aswin's log:

Day 1:

The eve of the last exam. Digital Systems. Trying to fathom what apparently seems to be a jamborie of terminals and logic gates. Too restless. Holiday mood already set in. Something nagging in my neck tho'...

Day 2:
Digital Systems exam is definitely a pain in the neck. I somehow manage to scribble answers and can't help enjoying with the rest after coming outta the bloody examination hall. I come back home tired and weary. I look into the mirror. Looks like the pain in my neck has materialized. A boil. Mum suggests a visit to the doc.

Day 3:
What the college terms as "holidays" whizz by. I spend the first day curled up with Michael Crichton's fiction novel - Sphere. It takes all my will power to keep myself from scratching the itching boil.

Day 4 to Day 6:
I spend my time in front of the Internet. I download music, Flash tutorials and whole sites like a crazed maniac. The boil slowly grows in size. Mum tries all sorts of tested and proved home-methods but the boil defiantly remains unbroken and keeps growing... uncanny resemblance to the 'Sphere'.

Day 7:
First day of the 4th semester. Lecturers introduce themselves. 3 semesters of Magix's kadis shows side-effects. Every statement uttered by the lecturers passes thru some sort of a filter and reaches my cerebral cortex with a different meaning. I stuff my knuckles into my mouth to keep myself from laughing.The boil seems to have grown 4 times the original size. I have pain turning my neck. Each time someone calls me from behind I slightly tilt my neck and shoot a side-glance @ the caller. Buddies can't help taking the mickey outta me. I hope that girls didn't find this behaviour as furtive and suspicious. Every Tom, Dick and Harry stares at my boil and asks what it is. Reminds me of Harry Potter's scar.

I trudge back home not without some difficulty. I meet an angry mum on the doorstep. Severely
reprimands me while mixing my daily oz. of lemonade, that I've been a chump, not going to the doc. I mumble something about going there instanter. Dad comes back home, bringing the Dec. issue of Digit.

Doctor forgotten. Undivided attention given to the Digit mag and cds. Guilty conscience pricks. No,
actually its the boil.

Day 8:
Buddies suggest that I've studied a mite too much. My brain has leaked they sez. [gnashes a tooth]. Unfortunately my pal Magix is separated from me and seated on a different bench. I find it difficult to communicate kadis. I bore my benchmates G and A instead. They suggest I go and hang myself. I point out the boil and argue that I can't very well wear the noose. It wud hurt. Hyuk hyuk! G and A shoot daggers with their eyes and suggest alternative of drowning in a lake. They also take pains to remind me that there's one right outside the college. Subdued.

I return home. No reprimands from mum. If looks could kill....


I goto the doc. I amused myself by watching a toddler's antics as I waited for an interminably long time.
My name is called. I'm ushered into the doc's room. Asks questions and makes a diagnosis. Squeezes and prods the boil. OUCH!
Scratches his chin while I wait in suspense.
"The boil is right over a blood vessel. It needs a surgeon's opinion." [Heart leaps into trachea]
The surgeon cameth over. Does all sorts of thing to determine the nature of the boil.
"This boil's a-ok. It's in the skin's upper layer. Can be removed safely. Now, if I had to give you an anaesthetic, I have to jab u in 4 different places around the boil. So I'll rather nick it directly. It won't hurt much...."

I'll kindly spare the readers of the gory details as to what happened next. Inquisitive readers can contact Magix to whom I've given a blow by blow account. (Too bad I told him after he had dinner. Or I cud've ruined his appetite. Like moi, this buddy has the salient feature of being able to picture what is being said..... need I say more?)

I'm now fitted with an inch-thick gauze pad. Pain is not over yet. The nurse pokes me right in the moosle with a TT injection.
Pain still not over yet. The bill cometh. 500 bucks!!! Max Payne... ahem, pain!!

Day 9:
I bunk college happily. I go to the clinic for a change of dressing. Watchout! More pain to come. Nurse cleans the wound with Hydrogen Peroxide.[gasp!] Then she takes a bottle. The label says 'Tincture of iodine' [yow!]

Day 10:
Second dressing is also big. So, here I am still at home much to the displeasure of my parents. Typing out a nice long post coz I've nothing better to do.

Summarising what I've rambled all along...

[Read in Seth tamil slang]


Arey! Inna idhu kazhuthile kutti katti.
Katti romba arikkidhu. Saithaan!
Aha! Katti ippo kutti pottu saithaan-ka-baccha aavudhu.
Ellarum kekkudhu. Naan poi muttika solludhu.
Katti ka kutti perusu avudhu.
Valikkidhu.
Naan doctor kitte povudhu.
Doctor surgeon-a kooptu kattiye kutthudhu.
Bandage pottu paisa pudungudhu.
Naan veetile okkandhu song kekkudhu.
Chinna vishyattha perusu aakki adha blog pannudhu.
others time-a waste pannudhu.
Short and sweet-a naan naina kaasa waste pannudhu.... tata!

Morals of the story:
1. Listen to mum
2. Appearances can be deceptive
2. Don't study too much
;)

P.S
: Cheers! this is the first blog where I've used Tamil as a modicum of communication.